Also Consider these other Hygiene Needs:
· Bath Wipes, Moist Towelettes, Soap
· Comb, Brush, Hair Accessories, Hair Spray, etc…
· Q-Tips, Tissue Pack
· Toothbrush, Toothpaste
· Deodorant, Lotion, Make-Up
· Medicine dropper
· Razor, Shaving Cream
· Insect Repellant
After a disaster, water & sewage lines may be disrupted.
· Earthquakes, floods and mudslides can break sewage and water lines.
· Power outages: Water and sewer lines are dependent on electricity to run their pumps.
When Water/Sewer lines are down, Sanitation can become a serious problem…Very Quickly!
“People affected by disasters are more likely to become ill and to die from diseases related to inadequate sanitation and water supplies than from any other single cause.” (World Health Organization)
As much as possible, continue regular hygiene habits. This will help prevent the spread of disease and irritation as well as help relieve stress.
If you suspect water or sewer lines are broken:
· Don’t drink the water. It may be unsafe. Boil it and treat with liquid bleach.
· Don’t flush the toilet. This could cause backup problems or allow sewage to contaminate ground water.
Prepare a Sanitation Kit that can be used at home and portable so it can go with you if you need to evacuate.
· Plastic Bucket with Tight Lid
· Plastic Garbage Bags & Ties
· Lime powder or Disinfectant (disease, odor control)
· Toilet Paper, Towelettes
· Feminine supplies
· Hand Sanitizer
· Liquid Soap